Sunday, August 1, 2010

Single Leg Dumbbell Olympic Lifts (Because I'm on the injured list)

After finding out I had chondramalacia (arthritis underneath my knee cap), I had to schedule an arthroscopic procedure to help remove some damaged cartilage. The procedure was on June 14, 2010. As of today, August 1, I still cannot perform body weight squats or low impact plyometric exercises. I have been cleared to do some light stretching and isometric exercises with my injured leg, but my lower body strength training is limited. I have done body weight pistol squats, lateral lunges, and dumbbell RDL's with my healthy leg, but I've been itching to kick it up a notch!

I miss doing Olympic lifts (clean and jerk, snatch), and I won't be able to do them regularly for a while. However, this happens to athletes all of the time. They get injured, begin a rehab program, and sooner or later come back into the weight room to resume training. They have to do modified exercises, limit range of motion, or perform single arm/single leg variations of certain exercises until they are back to 100%. What I am posting is a video of a single arm, single leg dumbbell snatch.

Usually I have athletes do a single leg variation of the DB snatch by having them jump, or pull, off one leg and land on two. A single leg catch position requires more core stability and balance, but I dig the challenge! I still find that I can be explosive on the pull, and get triple extension in the ankle, knee, and hip. Check out the video!

*Please be sure to speak with your physician, physical therapist, or certified athletic trainer before attempting any exercises following an injury.

1 comment:

  1. These videos are so helpful. I love how this is organized so I can just follow your routine. Thanks for taking the time to do this!!!

    ReplyDelete